Building back up…
The Digest returns after an extended break for the local council elections (and some tech issues – apologies). The people in charge of a council have a big say in what gets done so it’s worth noting what has (and hasn’t) changed.
Glasgow City Council continues in minority SNP control, with added support from the Greens. However, Anna Richardson has stepped down from her Sustainability role. Instead, the convenor of the Environment, Sustainability and Carbon Reduction City Policy Committee is Elaine McSporran (Cardonald).
Elsewhere, many neighbouring councils have changed hands:
- East Dunbartonshire – SNP minority (from Lib Dem/Tory).
- East Renfrewshire – Labour/Independents (from SNP).
- North Lanarkshire – SNP minority (from Labour/Independents/Tory).
- South Lanarkshire – Labour/Lib Dem/Independent/Tory (from SNP). New council leader Joe Fagan previously criticised infrastructure works in his East Kilbride ward.
- West Dunbartonshire – Labour (from SNP/Independent).