Two further Liveable Neighbourhood consultations should have featured in the last Digest. The Mansewood to Shawlands and Pollokshields East to Gorbals LNs were mentioned as future consultations in Digest 142 and 143 but then slipped through the net (apologies). Unfortunately, most of the in-person events for these have already passed but we did tweet about them previously. It’s harder to keep track when four LNs have consultations at the same time! These two have a different style of consultation to the two other LN areas as they’re being worked on by a different company. The two Southside LNs are by Atkins (while Yoker to Whiteinch and Royston to Hogganfield are by New Practice).
Both of these had stage one consultation in February 2023 so they’re now at stage two…
Mansewood to Shawlands Liveable Neighbourhoods area
Council: Glasgow City.
Areas: Mansewood, Pollokshaws, Shawlands.
Subject: Liveable Neighbourhood area covering Southside areas around Pollok Country Park. Despite routes like the South West City Way, there’s still a lot of scope for active travel improvements. The previous consultation gathered suggestions and the team have now identified three projects for feedback (see combined ‘Design Workbook’ for details):
- Transforming Kildrostan Triangle – placemaking project to improve the ‘bowtie’ of triangular junctions along Nithsdale Rd at Darnley Rd. Measures include a segregated cycleway, new crossings and pedestrian areas.
- Creating Safer Routes: Mansewood & Hillpark – dealing with ‘rat run’/through motor traffic. Either using traffic calming (to slow it down) or modal filters (to stop it and only allow motor vehicle access to residents/deliveries). Through access would be retained for walking and cycling.
- Improving Connections: Shawlands and Strathbungo – potential junction treatments to improve crossing points and reduce road danger on roads like Minard Rd.
Events have almost finished – the last one is for Kildrostan Triangle.
Drop in at Pollokshields Library, Leslie Street, TODAY Thursday 28 September, 4–7pm.
Pollokshields East to Gorbals Liveable Neighbourhoods area
Council: Glasgow City.
Areas: Pollokshields East, Govanhill, Tradeston and ‘Greater Gorbals’.
Subject: This LN area south of the River Clyde has big contrasts in rates of regeneration. Pollokshields and Govanhill kept many of their traditional buildings and the latter is one of the most densely populated areas of the city. The Gorbals has been almost entirely rebuilt since the 1950s while larger scale residential developments only came back to Tradeston quite recently; partly due to the Barclays development. Again, the earlier phase led to three projects for feedback (see combined ‘Design Workbook’ for details):
- Destination Laurieston – placemaking project for land by the railway arches, across Cleland St from the Citizen’s Theatre. Due to tie in with an existing access project for arch 12.
- Crown Street Retail Park Link – remedial action to improve pavements and crossings on car-dominated streets in and around Oatlands and the Crown St development (by the M74).
- Re-imagining Albert Drive Streetscape – placemaking around the Kenmure St/Albert Dr crossroads with other side streets potentially filtered/stopped up for pedestrian space.
Unfortunately, events already took place last week. As with all the LNs, the budget is only to develop plans. Each project will have to bid for funding for construction in due course.